Monday, June 20, 2011

a girl just needs her daddy.

When I was in middle school and had homework questions, I would always go to my mom first. My dad would always get into the assignment a little too much for my liking. All I wanted to do was finish my homework so I could go roller blade outside with Genie and listen to Ace of Base. My dad did not seem to realize (or care) that every minute I spent on homework, I was missing out on super fun and important things outside. I always knew I was in for the long answer when he would get the Atlas out. UGH. To add to my frustration, he would never tell me the answer! He would want to talk it over with me until I came to the right conclusion on my own. I know now that he was simply trying to teach me and wanted me to soak up everything I could. However, at the time, I was not thankful for his long-winded answers.

Even though he would go overboard on the help, he always knew the answer. He would help me get to the correct answer, without actually telling it to me. When I went to college and after I graduated, I had more important questions to ask him, (like car insurance, proof reading cover letters, etc.) and his long-winded answers were just what I needed! I called him all the time. Seriously. Every major decision I had to make, I called to get his opinion/help. We would talk through things, he would offer his opinion; it was great. He had a plethora amount of knowledge, and I needed to know everything!

Sometimes, I miss my dad's long-winded answers. At times, I find myself aching for his advice and knowledge. Don't get me wrong. My mom is absolutely fantastic, and I would be lost without her, but at times, a girl just needs her daddy. Dads just know things. Random things. Things that only a daddy know. Last night, Brad and I were going over my 401K plan. I just changed jobs and only now eligible to enrolled through the firm. We had a question, and Brad said he was going to call his Dad. I was instantly jealous. I wanted to call my dad. I wanted his advice. I wanted his long-winded answers.

I didn't get to ask him for 401K advice, but I did get to hear about his day and how excited he was that he won in his golf game. While at times I get sad about the things that are no longer possible, I am constantly reminded of how lucky I am that he can share other things with me... like how he beat Uncle David at golf. :) Things are different now, and I am getting better and better at accepting the change.

No comments:

Post a Comment