Friday, June 17, 2011

my loud and not so normal family

Last Thursday, my family and I went to dinner at a fancy place here in Austin. Mom really wanted to have one "final dinner with just the 5 of us" before the wedding festivities started. We dressed up and went to the Headliners Club and had our own private room. Within five minutes of being there, I was quickly reminded why it was a good thing we had a private room! My family is loud and goofy. A few of our normal family conversations (keep in mind that we probably talk at a level louder then most):

Mom stands up and tries to give a toast about how things are changing and she is so thankful for all of us. Blah Blah Blah. You can see the tears gathering in her eyes. Allison interrups- "Mom! Are you crying?" Me- "Omgosh. Mom. She isn't dying. You need to relax." Rebecca- "I'm the bride. I'm the bride. Mom- "UGH! Ok. Fiiinneeeee girls." (Dad just sitting and watching all of this happen... keeping his thoughts to himself.)

Rebecca was trying to go over the wedding weekend agenda. Allison kept interrupting, not letting her get through it. The next thing I know, Mom, Allison, and Rebecca break into a song from the Sound of Music. Dad hums in the background. It went something like this:

Rebecca- "Ok. Let's start at the beginning."
Mom and Allison look at each other and then quickly start singing- "Doe. A Deer. A female deer. Rae. A drop of golden sun...."
Rebecca then decides to join in.
Dad starts to hum the tune.
I look at all of them and think quietly to myself- "Um. I think I need a new family."

Towards the end of dinner we decide to take family pictures. Of course someone throws out the idea to pick up dad. Why? I have no idea. But, clearly we had to try it. Dad was a little heavier then we expected. It ended with Rebecca crumbling to the ground, Dad almost landing on top of her, and me getting stepped on. After dropping Dad, Rebecca asked why she wasn't the one to be picked up, since she was the bride?! Naturally, we quickly agreed and picked her up. I love my family and am beyond blessed. However, I think you can see why we needed that private room....

our only normal picture of the night
it seemed like a good idea at the time.
this was a much better plan.

No comments:

Post a Comment