Thursday, September 9, 2010

please be quiet.

My dad has always been the quiet type. It’s probably because he had 3 daughters and a wife. He did it for his own good. When I was growing up, he was a huge supporter of "no TV time." This, of course, used to bug the begezzies of Allison, Rebecca and me. How dare he want to sit and talk to his children when he gets home from work?! The nerve! Of course after temper tantrums because we were missing Full House or Baywatch (yes, this happened) we would calm down and talk to each other. I suppose we enjoyed it, although we would never admit it at the time. I forgot how great it is to turn on the television and simply talk. I was reminded of this joy on Sunday night.

Brad (the bf for the one other person who reads this besides Mary) was exhausted and asked if we could simply eat dinner in front of the TV and watch a football game. Isn’t that what every girl wants to hear from their boyfriend? (Watching a football game for me means bringing a crossword puzzle to do while he watches the game.) I took over dinner and we plopped our self on his couch ready to eat and watch football (my pen was poised ready for the puzzle). We say grace and turn on the TV.... to find the cable not working. Brad was beyond distraught. He spent a good 15 minutes turning it off/turning it on/rebooting/etc. He finally gave up and goes "well, looks like we are just going to have to talk tonight." (AWE. ISN'T HE SO ROMANTIC?!) After dinner, since the TV was still not working, and he was semi-over the fact that he was missing his game; we decided to take a walk down South Congress for a snow cone. Even though the snow cone place was closed (clearly the world was working against us on Sunday), it was so relaxing to stroll down the street. Having no cable was so great! Imagine it- a night of silence to talk to someone. A night of silence to take a lazy stroll in the city you love. What a wonderful night! Um, can I unplug the TV once a week?

I now understand why my dad loved the no TV time. Daddy, you have taught me so much- just add this to the list! Not only did it get me out of watching a football game (I can save my crossword puzzle for the next one), but it gave me a chance to relax and talk with a cute boy. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment