Thursday, September 23, 2010

a time to heal

My dad has Alzheimer's. Yes, it is extremely hard and sad... and hard to even admit. It took me a few years to be okay with saying it out-loud. He was diagnosed in 2007. We didn't start talking about it or accepting it until 2008. Over the past few years, I have seen how he has dealt with having this awful disease, and every day, I become more and more proud of him.

People respond to such devastating news differently- some shut down, some ignore and others prosper. My dad decided to make the most of what God has in store for him, and he decided to fight back. Over the past few years, he has gotten very involved with the Alzheimer's Association- referring to himself as the "Alz guinea pig." He spoke at a Baylor College of Medicine seminar for new doctors, participated in a photo session showcasing people who have been diagnosed with early-onset (which will be included in an exhibit in 2012) and most recently, started a blog called Alz News. The Alzheimer's Association encourages them to talk/journal about how they feel. It is a way to help them cope with the disease. They have encouraged him to start this blog as a way to raise awareness of the disease. It is an insider's view of Alzheimer's. I encourage you to read it. I struggle with reading it- let's face it- it's hard. But, it's also a way to heal and cope. It is a way for my sweet daddy to teach people about the disease.

He inspires me more then he will ever know. I am tearing up as I write this, but I am also beaming with pride as I think about how much he has taught me over the years, months and each day.

A few life lessons to keep in mind (courtesy of my dad):
  • Never give up.

  • Live everyday to the fullest.

  • Enjoy the time you have with the people you love.

  • Tell the ones you love.

  • Appreciate the little things.
I could go on and on. If you haven't had the chance to meet my dad, I hope you do one day. He has and will continue to bless my life each day. He is a very special man. I love him more then words can say.

**Shameful pitch: AUSTIN MEMORY WALK is October 16. Come walk with my dad my family and others. Please call, email, facebook me- whatever- if you are interested or have any questions. You can also CLICK HERE!**

2 comments:

  1. Just wanted to say that Jeff once gave me the daughter of the week award...just saying. Love him and you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it Kate. Proud of you and Jeff. (And Lisa, Allison, Becca ...)

    ReplyDelete